Beer Journal

A quasi-daily examination of beer and things related to beer.

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Now on Tap: Arrogant Bastard Ale



Arrogant Bastard Ale
Style: Ale
Brewer: Stone Brewing Company, Escondido, California, USA
ABV: 7.2%

When people ask me what kind of beer I like, this is usually what I describe. Not by name, but in color (dark amber, nearing brown), froth (thick, creamy head), flavor (sharp and hoppy) and alcohol (a healthy 7.2% abv). I would simply tell people that I like beers like Stone Brewing Company's Arrogant Bastard Ale, but I'd soon grow tired of the two most likely responses: 1. What's that? 2. That's appropriate. Although I've never considered this particular beer to be my favorite, stylistically speaking it's as good a representation of my tastes as anything.

Arrogant Bastard comes in a larger than usual serving - 22 oz. bottles - that is sizable enough for two people to each have a glass. Stone's signature gargoyle graces the front of the container, and on the back is written a warning of sorts: "This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it."

That's actually a pretty considerate proviso. Arrogant Bastard is almost all hops; it doesn't have much of a flavor profile, although there is a hint of sweetness towards the end that takes a little bit of the bite off. If you're still interested, check out the beer's website; there is a list of distributors that will ship the beer to your door.

For certain, beers come stronger and harsher - such as Stone's Ruination IPA - but I can't say if there's a more accurate beer. For my tastes, at least.

Rating: 9.2
Recommended with: You probably want a food that will stand up to the sharp flavor of Arrogant Bastard, which is a conflicting task because AB is a heavy drink - nearly a meal in and of itself. But you gotta eat, and I think there are two ways to go with this one: either a hearty meal like an open-faced pot roast sandwich or something less dense but with a kick, such as a peppercorn-encrusted pork chop.

1 Comments:

Blogger rwmonty said...

I had some chipotle alfredo tortellini with this the other night. The dish was spectacular, and the pairing was perfect.

November 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home